Let’s take it back to basics, and By basics we mean – turn the TV off, log off Facebook or Twitter and head outdoors and make a date with the universe. Luckily for us, Mother Nature is always available, any time of the day – and it’s our prerogative in today’s modern age of technology to take the time to remember that the real pleasures in life lie in the simplest things, like looking up, and counting the stars.
As it happens, winter time is the best time of year for star gazing and with First Group we have some of the best placed properties to make the most of the starry night sky, including:
- Qwantani – found on the banks of the Sterkfontein Dam in the Free State
- Desert Rose – on the shores of Henties Bay, Namibia
- Hole in the Wall – tucked away in a secluded bay on the Wild Coast
- Waterberry Hill – overlooking the gorgeous Mpumalanga Lowveld
- Perna Perna St Lucia – just minutes from the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
The modern technology of today’s era does have its uses though, and if you are a star gazing enthusiast, these are some of the best apps on the market to help you pin-point your favourite constellations which only make an appearance in the winter months…
- Star Chart
- SkyView (Free & Apple only)
- GoSkyWatch Planetarium
- Star & Planet Finder
- Night Sky Lite
The challenge is on! When next holidaying at one of our above properties, wrap up warmly, find a comfortable spot and see how many of the below constellations (that only make an appearance during autumn and winter) you can find…