If there were any place to truly embrace the beauty of winter, it would be the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands and the Drakensberg. Though we are fast approaching the end of the year’s coldest season, snow fall is still a possibility in the Underberg area as a last hurrah to the freeze of winter.
So, if you prefer to chase the chill rather than escape it, head for the hills to the Midlands Meander or Underberg region and wrap yourself in the fresh, countryside air, hunt for snowfall, curl up beside a roaring fire place, indulge in hot chocolate, toast marshmallows over a bonfire and embrace the wintery goodness before it’s over!
Enjoy a super-chill holiday at one of these favourite KZN properties:
Qwantani Berg & Bush Resort
Qwantani is the ultimate countryside retreat – nestled within a peaceful valley and flanked by the might Sterkfontein Dam. Surrounded by mountainous landscape and rolling open plains, Qwantani is also home to its own set of wandering wildlife, plenty of hiking and walking trails, mountain biking routes, horse riding and of course, sublime sunsets over the dam. Onsite, you can also enjoy a wellness spa, the Martial Eagle restaurant and its sumptuous meals and buffets, adventure golf, barge cruises, fly fishing and more.
Explore the region:
- Take a drive to Clarens and the Golden Gate National Park
- Visit the Lion’s Rock lion Farm, just over an hour’s drive away
- For the more adventurous, climb the chain ladders at the Amphitheatre
- Take a leisurely drive down Oliviershoek Pass to Winterton and visit the carpet and candle making factory
Midlands Saddle & Trout
Found in the heart of the Midlands Meander, this property is the perfect definition of a countryside break and a lovely place to experience the beauty and chill that descends upon this region of KZN during this time of the year. Surrounded by green rolling pastures, pristine lakes for trout fishing and all of the quirky craft stalls of the meander nearby, Midlands Saddle & Trout is great getaway for families and couples. Onsite there is welcoming family restaurant, horse riding, adventure golf, bowls, bird-watching and a wellness spa.
Make the most of the meander:
- Visit the Nelson Mandela capture site and memorial
- Have brunch and the best cappuccino you’ll find in KZN at the Piggly Wiggly
- Fly through Karkloof Nature Reserve on a zip lining tour
- Stop in at the Ugly Duckling for quirky souvenirs of all sorts.
Bushman’s Nek Berg & Trout Resort
Bushman’s Nek Berg and Trout Resort, situated in the picture-perfect foothills of the Southern Drakensberg, offers a selection of luxury hotel rooms, self-catering apartments and rustic log cabins. Take in the beauty of this stunning region of KZN with a horseback ride through the property surrounds, a day hike through the mountains, a game of bowls, adventure golf, tennis or a simply picnic. Onsite you also have access to the Bush Pot restaurant, Gabby’s Bar, outdoor swimming pool, an archery alley, paintball and whole lot more!
Discover the Drakensberg
- Embark on a day hike through Giant’s Castle nature reserve
- Go for a drive and summit Sani Pass
- Enjoy a magnificent helicopter flip over the mountains
- Drive the Midlands Meander for plenty of local eateries, breweries and craft stalls