A Quick History of Windsor Castle
Calling all history buffs! Here are our top 10 facts about the lavish and ever popular tourist attraction of Windsor Castle, visited by millions year after year…
- Windsor Castle is the royal residence of Queen Elizabeth II and is often used as her weekend home
- The original foundations of the castle were laid in the 11th century, making Windsor Castle over 10 centuries (1000+) years old!
- The original castle was built with wood.
- The castle was originally constructed by William the Conqueror.
- More than 500 people live and work in Windsor Castle today.
- Construction of the luxurious palace within the castle is known as the most expensive construction project of the entire Middle Ages in Britain.
- Windsor Castle was used as a refuge for the Royal Family during the Luftwaffe bombings of WWII
- King Henry the 8th is buried in the castle grounds in St. George’s chapel, along with many other monarchs that resided in the castle.
- It is said that the castle is haunted by many of its past royal residents, including King Henry the 8th
- The castle has survived two sieges, a bill for its demolition in 1642 (by just one vote!), two world wars and a raging fire in 1992. Windsor Castle the formidable!