The history of the humble pancake (also known as a crepe, if you may be confused!) dates back some 1000 years, and there is even a day delightfully dedicated to pancakes in the United Kingdom, known as Shrove Tuesday, which usually falls in February each year. Shrove Tuesday is borne from the tradition of using up eggs and left-over perishables before the beginning of Lent each year. This wonderful tradition is still celebrated today, so, in the spirit of tradition why not perfect your pancake on your next holiday with us?
If you are feeling up to making the most of your convenient self-catering facilities found in our First Resort’s units, here is a super simple pancake recipe to blow your socks off!
Sweet or Savoury Pancakes
- 250ml sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- One large pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Beat eggs, milk, water and lemon juice and oil together until well combined
- Beat into a smooth, runny mixture and allow to stand for roughly 20 minutes (this is important)
- Grease a non-stick pan with a little oil or spray and cook and place on a medium heat
- Pour 80ml measures of the mixture in the pan and swirl the pan quickly to coat the pan completely
- Now cook for 2 minutes, or until you see bubbles forming on top of the pancake
- Flip the pancake over by gently lifting at the edges, then sliding your spatula to the middle of the pancake and flipping
- Cook for one more minute on the opposite side or until light golden brown
- To pile your pancakes as you cook, place them on a plate and separate each pancake with a piece of roller towel paper to keep them from going soggy.
- Go old school: a generous sprinkle of brown sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon
- Traditional: syrup and a scoop of ice-cream
- Fruity: fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- Dreamy: nutella and sliced banana
- Something different: crispy bacon and syrup!