Sodwana Bay, with its endless stretch of coral reefs, clear visibility and protected marine life, is hailed as one of the top five dive sites in South Africa. Found approximately 5 hours outside of Durban, and just 1 hour from Kosi Bay and the border of Mozambique, Sodwana Bay Lodge is the ultimate spot from which to enjoy a dive holiday, suited to all capabilities. The warm, year-round weather, lush, green surrounding forest and balmy, salty breeze will transport you to a place of eternal summer. Whenever you choose to visit Sodwana Bay, you can be almost 100% guaranteed of long beach days and clear dive visibility. Mabibi is found between Sodwana Bay and Kosi Bay and is one of the best spots for a day in the deep. With only two boats launching in this area it is pure, unspoiled and exclusive diving at its best. Other than the magnificent diving, here are a few other ways to spend your time when visiting the North Coast of KwaZulu-Natal:
- Leatherback and Loggerhead turtle hatchings from October to February.
- Visit the local cashew nut factory on the Coastal Forrest Road.
- Visit Musi Pans for quality bird watching and hippo sightings.
- Travel to Lake Sibaya – the largest freshwater lake in southern Africa. It is best to take a 4×4 or a bakkie with a diff lock to this beautiful area.
- Snorkelling for those who prefer shallower waters.
- Surf and fly-fishing are amongst the best on the east coast of South Africa. Fishing is on a catch-and-release basis.
- Drives in open 4×4 vehicles to Black Rock and other localities offer great views of the spectacular reserve with excellent birding.