The Midlands Saddle and Trout is a divine getaway for families and couples looking to escape the busy city life for a country retreat offering plenty of fresh, crisp air and gorgeous surrounding scenery. For wonderful views of rolling meadows, the peaceful lake and bubbling streams, escape to the KwaZulu-Natal midlands for a slice of heavenly country pie. Situated just 60km outside of Pietermaritzburg and four hour’s drive from Johannesburg, Midlands Saddle and Trout is a haven for relaxation.
If you are an eager trout fisherman, or enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and canoeing, or meandering for quirky curios and tasty treats – the Midlands has just what you are looking for. The resort offers three still water lakes with fresh water, primed for trout fishing enthusiasts. Book a treatment at the wellness spa to add a touch of indulgence to your holiday. Adventure golf, arts and crafts, a games room, jungle gym, mini golf, playground area, and swimming pool are available to keep the kids busy, while games of badminton, bowling, bowls, cards, golf and various hiking trails are also onsite. The cosy and welcoming onsite restaurant at Midlands Saddle and Trout prepares heart-warming, country-style meals and the bar / cocktail lounge is always a good choice for a soothing night- cap.
9 of the best sites to see and activities within the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands include:
- Treetop canopy tours at Karkloof, just 10km outside of Howick.
- The iconic Nelson Mandela Capture Site, on the R301 just outside of Howick.
- Howick Falls, located on the Umgeni River – a 95 metre free-flowing force of nature.
- The Zulu Mpophomeni Tourism Experience, a great way to be a responsible traveller and support local establishments and cultural attractions in the area.
- A visit to WESSA (The Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa) in the Umgeni River valley is a must.
- Cheese and chocolate tasting at the family-run Swissland Cheesery.
- Nottingham Road – most especially during winter months where you are always guaranteed a snowy welcome.
- The Drakensberg Mountains – a day trip to this truly breathtaking region of South Africa will definitely be the highlight of your trip.
- Piggly Wiggly – for some of the tastiest home-style meals in the Midlands and steam-train rides the children will adore.